Third level domain names and secondary DNS servers

Richard McMullen mcmullen at netcom.com
Sat Jul 31 05:08:50 UTC 1999

 I use an ISP to host a domain name, with the appropriate
 internic records pointing to three DNS servers operated by
 this ISP.

 A recently installed Apache / Linux server at home is
 being configured as an alias of my existing domain, but
 my ISP is not willing to add the new alias to their DNS.

 The linux box has a static IP address and is used primarily
 to handle extra web traffic, mail, ftp, and news.

 I would like to use a third-party public DNS service (such as
 granitecanyon.com) as a secondary DNS server if it is possible
 to configure the secondary DNS server to include a record for
 the new alias without changing the primary DNS server.

 When the secondary DNS receives updates from the primary DNS,
 would this overwrite the new alias record?

Richard McMullen
mcmullen at netcom.com