Win98 problems with Linux DNS server

Axel Heider axel at heider.com
Sat Jul 3 13:13:46 UTC 1999

Hi,

can anybody help me with the following:
(sorry, if this seems not really linux-specific, but
 maybe it is?)

Linux, SuSE6.0, Bind8

With Win95 everything was ok, I could use my linux
DNS server but after installing Win98 with the same
settings it doesn't work any longer. On my NT machine
the settings are exactly the same, and if works fine.

Win98 settings:

  IP-Address: 192.168.1.10
  Subnet: 255.255.255.0
  Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (my Linux Gateway)
  DNS-settings: Hostname: Win98PC
                Domain: localnet.home
                DNS: 192.168.1.1 (my DNS server)

Linux-Server settings in named.conf
It sould forward every request - if not already
in cache -  to my isp's dns server. local request
should be answered by my dns.

  options {
    directory "/var/named";
#    forward only;
     forwarders {
       1.2.3.4;  // isp's dns server
     };
     topology {
       localhost;
     };

So, are there any probelms known with Win98. Why does
it work with NT?

Axel Heider