query on non-query socket

Markus Stumpf maex-bind-users at Space.Net
Fri Jul 30 11:38:12 UTC 1999

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 09:50:24AM +0200, Saso wrote:
> It is a new way many load ballancing products for web browsers work. They check the latency by connecting to your dns server on port 7 or port 53, probably depends on product.

Maybe I'm too tired to sort this out, but I don't get the point:
- if the product connects to port 7, my bind won't see it.
- if the product connects to port 53, why does bind complain that this
  is NOT a query socket?

(in depth comments about the "intelligence" behind measuring the latency
 of a host by measuring the latency to one of the auth dns servers omitted)

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sig at Space.Net | you funny and you need