Missing domain mystery...

Lawrence Chan webmaster at montevino.com
Sat Jul 3 01:57:14 UTC 1999

Tani Hosokawa wrote:

> On 2 Jul 1999, Michael Faurot wrote:
>
> > David Lloyd <david at inxpress.net> wrote:
> > : Okay, looks like it was a simple problem after all... Apparently the
> > : customer didn't pay their InterNIC bill and they put it on hold.. That's
> > : difficult since there is no way (apparently) to *tell* whether a domain is
> > : on hold thru InterNIC.
> >
> > In the past, I've been able to determine this by simply doing a
> > "whois" on the domain.  If there was a problem, the whois data would
> > show the domain "on hold" (or something similar).
>
> They no longer do that.  This is because the InterNIC is completely
> useless.  Anyone tried registering a domain in the past few months?
>
> ---
> tani hosokawa
> river styx internet

If you think trying to register a new domain is hard, try something else that
requires services but do not involve any payment from you, like telling them that
certain domains no longer exist or deleting contacts.

Why is the single most important nexus of the whole naming system in the Net could
have so much servicing problems?  And you have to pay for all your "troubles"!

Lawrence Chan
lchan at montevino.com