how to setup a new DNS using Bind 4.9.7 or 8.2.1

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Thu Jul 29 15:49:26 UTC 1999

shsu at ohsc.com wrote:

> Hi!
> I have a Pentium II running Solaris 2.7
> I have installed gnumake, gnuzip, gnugcc
> I have downloaded bind-4.9.7 and untar  it. I have also downloaded
> bind-8.2.1 and untar. I don't know what is better.
> I don't know what to do from here on. I know there is a file on how to but
> for me it is too cryptic.
> Can somebody give me the step by step in a more down-to-earth fashion?
> Thanks for your forthcoming reply!

This may seem like a "flip" answer, but it is the best advice I
can give you.

Step 1.  Delete the 4.9.7 distribution.  You don't want to start
a new project with the old version.

Step 2.  Go to the nearest technical bookstore, or amazon.com
and purchase a copy of "DNS and BIND" from O'Riley.  Read it!

Then, if you have any questions, post them here.

To gove you a good answer to this question would require that
I write a book.  It's already been done, and much better than
I could do it.

Harold