domain CNAME ?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Jul 28 19:28:14 UTC 1999

You can't. You would normally make WWW the CNAME record.
Why not just have another A record for mydomain.com pointing to
1.2.3.5??
You can have multiple A records pointing to the same address. Or make
the A record for mydomain.com and the CNAME for www.mydomain.com.

If you could alias mydomain.com, you would never find the NS or SOA
records for it. You would go into a loop, because a search for
www.mydomain.com would alias it to www.www.mydomain.com, and so on. If a
CNAME exists for a host, this is the only RR you can have for it.

Michael Voight
Cisco TAC