DNS with only one IP

Bill Selmeier Bill_Selmeier at isc.org
Wed Jul 28 02:03:15 UTC 1999

At 04:28 PM 7/27/99 -0700, DM wrote:
>I'd like to run DNS on my FreeBSD server. I have a single fixed IP and a DSL
>connection. The question is, can I register a domain name with Internic and
>run a DNS on my single IP, without the assistance of my ISP? I have
>considered alternate methods of getting a Domain Name, but I'm interested in
>finding out if the above is a viable option.

	Do you have any friends running a name server anywhere in the world that
would offer to be secondary?  Primary and Secondary are better if
topologically separate on the net.  Then if the dsl connection goes down
you may loose the web server, but the net still knows you exist.  :)

>Network Solutions asks for a primary and a secondary server. I don't suppose
>they can both be on the same address?

	Not recommended for the reason imputed above.  Don't want a single failure
to remove both primary and secondary.  Of course NSI is not known for
carefully screening for those sorts of things.

>DM-at-value-dot-net

Bill Selmeier		Internet Software Consortium
Director		950 Charter Street
Client Relations	Redwood City, CA 94063
+1 (650) 779-7018	bills at isc.org