[NEWBIE] Running DNS server off cablemodem

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Tue Jul 27 05:12:50 UTC 1999

woodstoc wrote:

> In article <379bd3ec.2474660 at news>, adrena1in at NOSPAMhome.com (Chris Adams)
> wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in running a DNS server on a FreeBSD box which is
> > connected to a cablemodem.
>
> I am fairly certain that cable modems only have around 33.6k of upload
> bandwidth. This means anyone outside of your LAN would be querrying your
> DNS through a really really small pipe. If you can get another DNS that is
> better connected to act as a secondary (slave) to your DNS, then it might
> be usable (putting the slave DNS record first in the zone file will

If he only has 33.6K of upload capability, he has more to worry about
than DNS. DNS would be minimal bandwidth compare to what he would
actually need when people want to access the hosts on his LAN. If the
hosts are not on the lan with the DNS server, it would make no sense to
serve DNS from there.

Michael