How does DNS response work with multiple hosts?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Jul 26 22:03:44 UTC 1999

<mooker at probemail.com> wrote in message
news:<7nilfh$226$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>...
> When a DNS request (from a DNS server) goes to the authoritative
> server, and there are many Web Hosts (geographically located)throughout
> the country ....... how does the authoritative server determine the
> geographic location of the DNS server, so that it can give the IP
> address of the closest Web server ?

Name servers generally don't give out the address of the closest web server.
There are some products, like Cisco's Distributed Director, that try to do
that, though.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.