fetch-glue yes recursion no

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Jul 26 19:39:51 UTC 1999

    Christine> Experts, 1) Is it meaningful to have fetch-glue yes and
    Christine> recursion no in an option statement?

Not really. If recursion is off for your name server, it isn't going
to query other name servers and so won't have any need to fetch glue
records. Unless you've done something really wacky like disable
recursion but enable forwarding....

    Christine> 	2) I delegate away some zones, but have provided glue
    Christine> for them, (the NS and the A); in this case I don't need
    Christine> fetch-glue yes, do I?

Nope. The keyword here is FETCH. Just because a name server doesn't
fetch glue from other name servers doesn't mean it can't hand out glue
records.

    Christine> 	3) Since I don't want recursion, and have taken care
    Christine> to write my own glue, this means that I will ONLY have
    Christine> to fetch-glue when a client asked me about something I
    Christine> don't know, something which will return an NS whose
    Christine> glue I have to fetch, correct?

Yup.

    Christine> So naturally, fetch-glue no follows recursion no, correct?

Sort of. If recursion is off, there should be no need to fetch glue
and so it won't matter whether fetch-glue is set to yes or no. Your
name server won't need to go looking for glue when recursion is off.