bind 8.1.2 does not work with my fw1 firewall

Frank.C.Hui at ap.pnu.com Frank.C.Hui at ap.pnu.com
Sat Jul 24 16:55:54 UTC 1999

Hi,
      I tried to upgrade my current Solaris 2.4 running Bind 4.9.1 to Solaris
2.6 running Bind 8.1.2 today.  This is our external DNS residing in the DMZ.  My
external queries did not appear to go out of our firewall which is running Check
Point's FW1.  When we stopped running the firewall policy, everthing appeared
just fine.  External queries stopped working when the firewall policy was
reinstalled even allowing everything to go thru our new DNS server.

I have backed out of this bind upgrade by reinstalling the old machine (Bind
4.9.1) and everything is back to normal.

Question: What stops bind8 from working with our firewall?

Thank you.

Frank Hui
Pharmacia & Upjohn