Glue record in different domain

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jul 2 19:35:16 UTC 1999

In article <492474619.930931150589.JavaMail.qtran at hutch.East.Sun.COM>,
 <Christine.Tran at East.Sun.COM> wrote:
>Gurus,
>
>pb.com delegates goober.pb.com to ns.jelly.com.  Normally one would write an NS
>RR and a glue record in pb.com:
>        goober.pb.com.  IN      NS      ns.jelly.com.
>        ns.jelly.com.   IN      A       1.2.3.4
>
>but BIND 8.x will complain about ns.jelly.com. not in pb.com.  Can I pull off a
>little deception and write the glue as:
>        goober.pb.com.          IN      NS      ns-jelly.pb.com.
>        ns-jelly.pb.com.        IN      A       1.2.3.4
>
>even though the SOA RR and the NS RR for goober will say ns.jelly.com is the
>name server?  Why should the name server at pb.com care about a little name
>discrepancy as long as it can find the host it delegates to?

You can do that, but why do you want to?  What if the owner of ns.jelly.com
domain decides to move it to a different address and doesn't tell you?
After all, they think that they only need to update the jelly.com domain to
make this change take effect.  But you'll continue giving out the old
address in your ns-jelly.pb.com domain.

Just put in the original NS record, and leave out the glue record.  Your
server will look up NS.JELLY.COM (unless you use the "fetch-glue no"
option) and include it in the Additional Records section of its replies.
If you disable fetch-glue, the querying nameserver will look it up itself.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com