lateral NS delegation

Alex Kamantauskas alexk at tugger.net
Fri Jul 23 18:01:13 UTC 1999

> No such thing.  There will be problems.  If you are designated as the
> name server for a particular domain, you are expected to have the
> answers for that domain.

I was wondering if returning the NS records would constitute an "answer".

> No hemming and hawing and asking other servers behind your back.  You
> must have that information on hand.

Then why would a subdomain work?  If you have "foo.com" delegated to
your servers, and "sub.foo.com" delegated elsewhere, queries for
"sub.foo.com" will come to your server first, where "you are expected to
have the answers for that domain", yet all you return are the NS records
for where "sub.foo.com" can be found?

> Is there a reason you couldn't be a "slave" for the domain with
> "ns1.otherfoo.com" as the master?  Then that machine will maintain the
> master data, but your machine will have it on hand for when it's needed.

That is the way we currently have it set up.

--
Alex Kamantauskas
alexk at tugger.net