Delegating Part Of Class C?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 22 18:48:22 UTC 1999

Duncan retorted:
> > 82.80.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.         IN  PTR   host1.mydomain.com.
>
> Sure, it takes a little extra time to maintain, but just in case someone
> who normally doesn't work on this has to in my place, there's no confusion
> about *exactly* what's in the record :-)
>
> > You should already have seen in your 'syslog' output [I did ask you
> > about 'syslog' output, didn't I, earlier?] the error messages that tell
> > you that 82.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa is in no way, shape, form, or
> > stretch of the imagination part of the 80.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa
> > domain, and so 'named' was ignoring it.
> >
> > ;-)
>
> OK, I've now totally redone all of the entries in the db as specified,
> i.e.:
>
> 82.80.xxx.xxx.xxx.IN-ADDR.ARPA.   IN PTR   host1.mydomain.com.

Hmmm.  My fault, I matched 82 w/host1.  You probably did "the right
thing".

> However, lookups still fail. Now named says *nothing* in the logs, and I
> still get 'server failed' whenever I try to lookup:

OK.  This would be a LOT easier if you weren't being coy about domain
names and IP addresses, but I understand some people feel better not
giving away helpful information.

Did you send a HUP signal to the 'named'?

What is the EXACT error message from 'dig' or 'nslookup'?

What does 'dig' or 'nslookup' say when you try to look up, say,
82.80.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.?

Have you given the ISP's name server time to timeout any cached
negative information?  [I think I know the answer to this one.]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B