Secondary wants "static" records

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jul 21 13:51:20 UTC 1999

In article <005e01bed2c4$7ac61f20$7c56acc7 at fastech.com>,
Chan Cao <ccao at FASTech.Com> wrote:
>Hmm...
>
>I hope some guru can help.  What happens during a xfer from primary to
>secondary?
>All records for intended zone got overwritten?
>
>What if I want to protect a number of records for a particular zone while
>uploading
>the rest?  Will glue records help me?  I feel I'm doing something
>non-standard here
>but is there a way?

You could create new zones for the records that you don't want to be
overwritten.  For instance, if you're secondary for the movie.edu zone, but
want to protect fx.movie.edu, configure the server as a primary for the
fx.movie.edu zone.  The zone file would look like:

@ SOA ...
  NS  yourserver
  A   its-address

You'll need the administrator of the movie.edu zone to agree to put in a
delegation record for you, though.  Otherwise, when it receives queries for
the subdomain, it won't refer them to your server; if it has conflicting
information, it will give it out.

>Also, does anyone know off-hand if MS has fixed the problem with their DNS
>sending
>WINS records?  Will Bind8.2.1 capable of dealing with this problem?

No and no.  You still have to get the MS administrator to check the
"Settings affect local server only" box.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com