BIND 8.2.1 - firewall - forward

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jul 20 17:44:26 UTC 1999

> options {
> query-source address * port 53;
> forward only;
> forwarders { 192.249.249.3; };
> };
>
> Unfortunately, it does not seem to work... it
> resolves internal names ok, but it does not work
> for internet addresses. I looked at the log files,
> and I found the following message:
>
> Jul 19 20:37:13 lsr-prece named[5370]: Forwarding
> source address is [0.0.0.0].53
>
> It looks like it is not using the address I
> specified in the forwarders statement.

That's the source address for forwarded queries, not the address it's
forwarding to.  And [0.0.0.0].53 is perfectly normal (port 53 on whichever
local address the route points out).

Are you sure the forwarder is receiving the queries?  You can turn on query
logging to see.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.