(Very) Newbie troubles using "named"

Colin Guthrie colin at guthrie.sol.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 19:21:23 UTC 1999

Hi,

This problem must pale in comparison to all the others I have read on
this site.  I'm just playing with a small network in my house and want
to get DNS working form muy SuSE 2.2.5 machine using the latest version
of Bind 8.2.1 downloaded today.

It all went on OK and I am trying to set up a trivial dns server for the
PCs on my network internally before using it as a cacheing server with
an ISP.

I have tried to follow a tutorial from the SuSE installation HOW TOs
which I have tried to follow properly.

when starting named using "ndc start", the process completes and gives
me a PID.
when I try to run nslookup it responds:
*** Can't find servername for address 127.0.0.1: No response from server
*** Default servers are not available

Here is the named.conf file:
options {
        directory "/var/named";
};

zone "." in {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "pz/127.0.0";
};

I've empted the root.hints file to prevent it looking for the online
servers (it was a solution somebody else used and had working)

The trouble is that I don't think it is even finding the zone references
as the system log file doesn;t show them as expected.
It say's that:

Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[256]: starting.  named 8.2.1 Mon Jul 19
15:29:02 GMT 1999 ^Iroot at server:/home/colin/DNS/bind-8/src/bin/named
Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[256]: /etc/named.conf:1: syntax error near
'^M'
Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[256]: listening on [192.168.0.1].53 (eth0)
Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[256]: Forwarding source address is
[0.0.0.0].1024
Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[257]: Ready to answer queries.
Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[257]: No root nameservers for class IN
Jul 19 19:59:59 server named[257]: sysquery: findns error (SERVFAIL) on
?

I am expecting some form of zone check instead of the systax error.

I also have the file /var/named/pz/127.0.0 which contains:
@               IN      SOA     ns.linux.bogus. hostmaster.linux.bogus.
(
                                1       ; Serial
                                8H      ; Refresh
                                2H      ; Retry
                                1W      ; Expire
                                1D)     ; Minimum TTL
                        NS      ns.linux.bogus.
1                       PTR     localhost.

as recommended by the tutor.

Any help would be appriciated or if you could point me to a better
tutorial that would be great.

This is not a major problem as you can see,  I'm just tring to learn a
little more about networking.

Thanks Colin Guthrie