Prioritising Nameservers

Berislav Todorovic BERI at etf.bg.ac.yu
Fri Jul 16 23:39:50 UTC 1999

In article <000401becf6b$01a69fe0$330b28c3 at ANDI.pool.net>,
  <andi.twine at pool.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to prioritise (like MX preferences) name
> servers ?
> As dns2.nic.it is not running a completely up to date zone file - we
> would like to prioritise them so dns2.nic.it is only used when
> ns.pool.net is too busy.

Well, with BIND 8.2.1 it is possible, though I've never tested it. The
story goes something like this:

options {
   rrset-order {
      class IN type NS name "mydomain.com" order fixed;
      order cyclic;
   };
};

As a result, NS records will always be returned in order in which they
are defined in the zone file.

> If not, does anyone have any good alternatives ?

Yes, why don't you run a normal primary/secondary configuration?

Regards,
Beri

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/