NS Record problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jul 16 16:24:38 UTC 1999

In article <482567B0.002207CB.00 at ssdi-lns1.ssdi.sony.com.sg>,
 <sanjayk at ssdi.sony.com.sg> wrote:
>We recently upgraded Solaris OS from 2.5 to 2.5.1 and Bind from 4.8.3 to
>4.9.3.

Now, instead of being 10 years behind, you're only 4 years behind.  Why
don't you upgrade to BIND 8, or if you don't want to switch to the new
named.conf syntax, 4.9.7?

>We copied the same DNS data files from the OLD system. But now we are not
>able to get any 'NS' updates from other domains for which we have 'NS'
>records.
>
>For eg:, we have 'NS' record for 'xxx.yyy.zzz' in DNS hosts file and we
>have mentioned

Is yyy.zzz your domain?  BIND 4.9.x and newer does not allow you to have
records that are outside the domain of the zone file.  Your log should have
a warning saying that it's ignoring that record.

>the same in named.ca as one of our root servers, but when we do 'nslookup'

Named.ca is just used as the initial default root server list.  After it
starts up it queries one of them for the current root server list and uses
that.  Anything else in named.ca is ignored.

>for
>'www.xxx.yyy.zzz' it fails. We tried by taking out from DNS hosts but still
>the results
>are the same.
>But when we become secondary to 'xxx.yyy.zzz', we get all the NS records.
>Any idea?

Because now you're authoritative for the domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com