bind-8.2.1 named startup removing ndc UNIX socket?

Tim Rosmus trosmus at nwnexus.net
Thu Jul 15 19:57:02 UTC 1999

I tried bringing up 8.2.1 on our primary DNS server and have the following
problem.  Server is DEC Alpha, running DU4.0D, with approximately 7000
zones.

When I start named directly it takes about 2 minutes to load all
our zones.  Abount 1 minute into the load, the /var/run/ndc
UNIX socket gets created.  As named finishes loading though, at
2 minnutes, the 'ndc' socket disappears.  Thus using "ndc" for
control is useless.

There are no error messages from named.  It exits with a status of 0
when it forks off, and continues to run normally.

Starting with "ndc start" gives the following error...
	ndc: error: name server didn't start

But named did did start and is running normally except without any
ndc control channel.  Again it was created at 1 minute into the load,
but was removed at 2 minutes, when named was done loading and actually
forked off and running.

Is there some kind of 60/120 second timer for used for the creation process
of the UNIX ndc socket?   Anyone seen this problem?  Anyone know how to
go about debugging this?  Any help/tips appreciated else it's back to
8.1.2, thanks.

--
                Tim Rosmus <trosmus at nwnexus.net>
                   Postmaster / USENET / DNS