DNS-Request+Dial-up+Caching Nameserve

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Jul 15 19:42:45 UTC 1999

In article <378DAF2B.8E42D812 at T-Online.de>,
Martin H. Kellner <Taunus-Elektro-Bau-KellnerMH at t-online.de> wrote:
>We use a Client/Server-software which sometimes sends an "A?"-request
>for the name of the server of the database. I have setup an
>dial-up-gateway for our network to access the internet. I'm using
>IP-Masquerading on a SUSE-6.0-distribution.
>
>The request for the name-resolution opens the dial-up connection. I
>could solve it with an entry in the hosts-file of our Win-clients, but I
>don't want to move to all the places. I was able to setup a caching
>nameserver on the gateway-machine very quick. It runs but its'
>hosts-file doesn't help.
>
>I'm new to the DNS thing. Do you have an idea to filter this certain
>request? I need all the other requests of course :-))

Make your DNS server a master server for a zone containing just the name of
your server.  For instance, if it's dbserver.company.de, put the following
in named.conf (I'm assuming you're using BIND 8):

zone "dbserver.company.de" {
  type master;
  file "dbserver.company.de.db";
};

Then create the file dbserver.company.de.db, and it should look like:

$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA dnsserver.company.de hostmaster.company.de (
         1999071501 ; serial
         3600       ; refresh
         900        ; retry
         864000     ; expire
         3600 )     ; MinTTL
  IN NS dnsserver.company.de.
  IN A 1.2.3.4

Replace dnsserver.company.de with the name of your local DNS server, and
1.2.3.4 with the address of the database server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com