Non-routable addresses in the DMZ

Marty Enerson menerso at fallon.com
Thu Jul 15 18:50:52 UTC 1999

What we had was a DMZ with non-routable addresses.  Then DNS was in that zone and had a
non-routable address.  The DNZ zone files were for the Internet and had basically two
addresses it was serving...the web server address and it's own address.  But the zone
files contained the routable addresses of the two machines since the only people using the
two machines would be on the Internet.  When I started BIND it said that it couldn't
resolv it's name because the port is bound to 192.168.40.10 but the DNS tables give a
routable number.

The only machines are in the DMZ are non-routable but the PIX gives them routable numbers.

1. yes
2. no, I have the routable number configured in the DNS files
3. yes, but not know (or care) what the non-routable numbers are.

I don't know about the "alias" command on the PIX.

We called CIsco and they were no help on how the DNS should be configured.  The DMZ works
great with either non-routable or routable addresses... but the DNS server is having the
prob.

Marty Enerson
I do stuff...