Please help with reverse DNS for vhosts

John Lange jlange at cgc.ca
Thu Jul 15 16:32:06 UTC 1999

First off, sorry for the length of the this post, but I figured I
might as well try and get all the relevent data in one message

Second, thanks a million for any help you can give :)

I'm trying to create a vhost "wish.i.had.a.shell.at.darcore.net" as a
test and bind it to the first IP in a range (206.45.92.17).

The forward maping works fine (I can lookup with that name). The
reverse maping does not work though.

Here is the output from nslookup:
-- start snip --
206.45.92.17
Server:  www.darkcore.net
Address:  204.112.101.38

*** www.darkcore.net can't find 206.45.92.17: Server failed
-- end snip--

The above nslookup causes this to be written in /var/log/messages:
-- start snip --
Jul 15 11:13:08 madness named[72]: ns_forw:
query(17.92.45.206.in-addr.arpa) contains our address
(madness.darkcore.net:204.112.101.38)
Jul 15 11:13:08 madness named[72]: ns_forw:
query(17.92.45.206.in-addr.arpa) No possible A RRs
-- end snip --

I've tried many many different styles of pz/ files, the ones below are
the current implementations. I hope over the course of expermimenting
I haven't destroyed them to badly.

Here are my config files for reference.

My /etc/named.conf:
--- start ---
options {
directory "/var/named";
check-names master warn;
};

zone "." {
type hint; file "root.hints";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
type master; file "pz/127.0.0";
};

zone "darkcore.net" {
type master; file "pz/darkcore.net";
};

zone "darkcore.com" {
type master; file "pz/darkcore.com";
};

zone "darkcore.org" {
type master; file "pz/darkcore.org";
};

zone "101.112.204.in-addr.arpa" {
type master; file "pz/204.112.101";
};

zone "38.101.112.204.in-addr.arpa" {
type master; file "pz/204.112.101.38";
};

zone "17.92.45.206.in-addr.apra" {
type master; file "pz/206.45.92.17";
};
---- end ----

my /var/named/pz/206.45.92.17:
---- start ----
madness:/var/named/pz# cat 206.45.92.17
@       IN      SOA     madness.darkcore.net. admin.darkcore.net. (
                        1999071503      ; serial
                        3600            ; refresh
                        900             ; retry
                        604800          ; expire
                        3600            ; ttl
                        )
        IN      NS      madness.darkcore.net.
        IN      PTR     wish.i.had.a.shell.at.darkcore.net.
--- end ---

my /var/named/pz/darkcore.net:
--- start ---
$ORIGIN net.
darkcore   IN   SOA     madness.darkcore.net. root.darkcore.net. (
                        1999071501       ; serial
                        8H              ; refresh
                        2H              ; retry
                        1W              ; expire
                        1D             ; minimum
                        )
darkcore        NS      madness.darkcore.net.
darkcore        MX      10 mail.darkcore.net.
darkcore   IN   A       204.112.101.38
;
$ORIGIN darkcore.net.
madness         A       204.112.101.38