DNS query timeouts

Tero A Kauppinen takauppi at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jul 15 11:49:53 UTC 1999

We are currently using FreeBSD 3.2 & Bind 8.1.2 and are
facing some problems when trying to resolve addresses. The setup we
have is as follows:

   H -------- S ---------------- B -------- ( The Internet ) ---- X
 (host) (internal server)   (bastion host)                     (target host)

If H tries to query the address of host X, the operation fails for the
first time. The problem, as I understand it, is with timing, i.e. S
doesn't wait long enough for an answer from B. However, when the query
is repeated, S has already got an answer for its previous query, and
thus the answer can be found in the cache.

How can I increase the time S waits for an answer from B before
returning an error to H?

Thanks,

Tero