Non-routable addresses in the DMZ

Marty Enerson menerso at fallon.com
Thu Jul 15 16:13:01 UTC 1999

I recently setup a Cisco PIX firewall with and 'inside", "outside", and "DMZ"
networks.  I split my DNS server to an internal and an external.  Our internal
network is using 192.168.xxx.xxx numbers and the DNS works fine.  My problem arose
when we setup non-routable addresses in the DMZ zone.  This is where our external DNS
server sits.  I gave the box and 192.168.xxx.xxx number.  The PIX gives it a routable
address.  The problem is that when I try to start BIND and it is just serving
routable addresses it wouldn't work going out on the EN card that had a non-routable
address bound to it.

Is it possible to serve just routable addresses with a box that is in a non-routable
network?  We ended up putting a routable range in the DMZ and it worked fine.  I
would rather not though.

I am running BIND 8.2.1
RedHat 6.0
Kernel 2.2.10