How do I setup a "Multi-homed" DNS?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Thu Jul 15 13:52:20 UTC 1999

For those who don't know DD:
Distributed Director does this based on DRP (Distance???? Routing
Protocol)  distances (can be rtt or other factors), although it can do
it simply by round robin or weighing. It also does polling to see if a
server is up. The response is always a single "best" address. Some DNS
resolvers support "sortlist", which lets you list the order of addresses
or networks that have priority. Do not confuse this with server
sortlist, which lets the server sort the addresses. For more info, there
is a description in DNS and Bind.

Michael Voight
Cisco TAC
(Yes, I support DD, CDDM, and CNR)