root servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Jul 15 03:44:11 UTC 1999

In article <378CD3E8.568D4F45 at gedas.es>,
Felipe Arrudi  <arrudi at gedas.es> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>Internally, we are defining a DNS structure with a new suffix (*.XYZ.).
>We are a worldwide company with several sub-companies so each delagation
>will have its own domain (COMPANY1.XYZ, COMPANY2.XYZ, etc.).
>
>I have two questions:
>
>1- Which is the best configuration for our root servers, including
>definitions for XYZ. domain and BIND parameters (recurse, check-names,
>etc) (BIND 8.2.1). How it works: One primart root server with several
>slave servers, or several primary servers sharing the same config?.

If you use master and slave servers, you don't have to implement your own
mechanism to copy the zone files to all the machines.  BIND's built-in zone
transfer mechanism will handle this.  The only thing you'll need to do is
update all the named.conf files when you add or delete zones.

>2- What's the best way to configure all servers to allow internal
>queries (*.XYZ.) and external queries (*.COM, *.EDU, etc.)? How can I
>separate external and internal names?

Don't configure them as root servers, just configure them as authoritative
for the XYZ top-level domain.  Your server will then recurse normally for
all other top-level domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com