How do I setup a "Multi-homed" DNS?

named at my-deja.com named at my-deja.com
Thu Jul 15 00:23:46 UTC 1999

Hi All

I am interested in setting up a "Multi-homed" Dns (I hope that the
terminology is correct).

The idea behind it is that I would like our DNS servers to resolve our
hostname to different addresses based on different factors which I would
like to specify in the DNS.

The most important factor is where the request came from and to assign
our closest server IP.

I understand that Cisco has a product called a DistributedDirector DNS
which assigns an IP address to be returned based on information on
routing cost from the client entry point to closest server.

Is there any other way to do this such as using specialized software on
my DNS ?

Thanks

Named

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/