root name servers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jul 14 16:35:38 UTC 1999

> On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 06:01:33PM -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > This is usually not particularly useful information, since your name
> > server will find the closest one and use it.
>
> It can be if you want to build a smaller named.root.  Now why would one want to
> that I have no idea, but since a customer wanted to know, I had to ask ...

My comment stands.  A smaller named.root will only decrease the
probability of finding a working root server.  And the first thing that
'named' does, before it needs to use any root server, is ... to read in
remotely the entire current list of root servers.  ;-]  And then decide
for itself which one it wants to use.  So the effort to cull the list
is perhaps misdirected.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
	PLEASE ... send or Cc: all "COSPO/OSIS Computer Support"
		     mail to sys-adm at cospo.osis.gov