ns_resp

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Jul 1 18:20:07 UTC 1999

In article <7lf78s$7mn$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <bernd.euler at henkel.de> wrote:
>hi,
>
>after upgrading to bind 8.1.2 I get messages I do not understand.
>entry in syslog
>....named[7470]: ns_resp: TCP truncated: "2.31.216.209.in-addr.arpa" IN
>PTR.
>can anybody explain me what happens and how can I solve this "problem"

That address has hundreds of PTR records.  The DNS server apparently limits
its response size to about 8KB when using TCP, and this isn't enough to
hold all the records, so the response is truncated to the first 326.  It
looks like they're mostly in alphabetic order, and it only gets up to the
F's.

I suggest you notify ssmith at anaserve.com and netops at named.net about this,
and suggest that they pick a single primary name to have the PTR record
point to.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com