Q: Versions of BIND: production vs. test

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jul 1 10:56:31 UTC 1999

> Hi BINDers,
>
> there are bind versions BIND-8.x.x and BIND-8.x.x-T?B.
>
> My understanding is that all *-T?B versions are for
> public testing only and not recommended for production
> use.
>
> Although I greped through the common resources, I did
> not find this in written. Could you please correct me if
> I'm wrong or give me a hint for a documentation of this
> practice?
>
> TIA,
> dirk.

	-T?A are ALPHA releases, these generally only go to
	bind-workers.

	-T?B are BETA releases, most of these are ready for production
	use though you are expected to remove them once the final
	release comes out.  You need to read the comments that go
	out with the announcement.  Some bugs are only seen under
	production loads (100k+ zones) and several thousand
	queries/second.  BETA's are generally running on ISC's
	production servers prior to announcement.

	The question mark indicates release number.  The A/B
	indicates our rating of the code quality.  T2A is a later
	release then T1B but may have involved a major changes to
	get there, hence the A label.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org