Run Pri & Sec DNS in different ver.

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Jul 13 18:08:13 UTC 1999

    Billy> Dear all, My problem is I just setup a Sec DNS on solaris
    Billy> 2.6 which BIND ver. is 4.9.x, and now I want to upgrade my
    Billy> Pri DNS which is running on Freebsd. however, new Freebsd
    Billy> is include BIND 8.1.x, what if I upgrade it, Pri & Sec DNS
    Billy> are in different ver. of BIND. Is there any problem?

What makes you think the DNS *protocol* changes just because one
implementation of that protocol has a new version? Just think of the
massive interoperability problems there would be all over the world if
that were the case every time a new name server version was released.

You might find that a BIND8 name server is less forgiving about zone
file errors - like illegal hostnames and bad glue records - that you
used to get away with in BIND4. This is not a change of protocol, just
a more rigorous interpretation of it.