savehash: Not enough space

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Jul 13 09:25:28 UTC 1999

    Vicki> I tried adding different datasize values, all > 1Mb, and
    Vicki> named would just core dump when it was starting up.  The
    Vicki> option I came up with to at least get most of my addresses
    Vicki> resolving was to dump a bunch of address off the end of the
    Vicki> /16's (dropped about 650,000 entries) and then it would
    Vicki> startup ok without the datasize option....

Eh, but why is your name server loading so many resource records?
There can't be many networks that have ~300,000 nodes on them. [I'm
assuming that half the enries for A records and half for PTR records.]
And if your net *really* is that big, you should be able to afford
name servers that have hundreds of Mb of RAM and an OS that lets named
use all of that.

As a rough rule of thumb, it takes around 100 bytes to store a
resource record in the name server's cache. So by eliminating 650,000
entries from your name server, you reduce its RAM usage (and VM
demands) by around 64 Mb. Processes that use >> 64Mb can often be "big
enough" to hit default system resource limits.