Help: domain propagation

Stamey Stamey at Farther.com
Sat Jul 10 16:45:41 UTC 1999

Propagation of what?
If Internic set up your second-level domain on their root servers 7 days
ago, then their 25-26 root servers probably all had the information about
where to send "yourdomain.com" requests.
As far as your host/third-level stuff, your DNS servers had that information
after you set them up. "propagation" of your domain information took as long
as transferring your zone from the primary to the secondary.
There is no other real propagation involved. If some host is looking for
your domain it follows this path.

Joe at somehost.com is looking for www.yourdomain.com
Joe's PC queries DNS.somehost.com
DNS.somehost.com looks in its cache and says, "Nope, I don't know who that
is." and forwards it.
If DNS.somehost.com has forwarder information configured on it, the query
gets forwarded to the specified server which probably goes to the next step
anyway. Otherwise, go to the next step.
DNS.somehost.com, or the forwarder server, sends the request to the first
Root server available from its DNS cache.
The responding root server says, "Yeah, I know that domain,
"yourdomain.com", Go to his DNS server for more information. Here's the
address, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx."
DNS.somehost.com, or the forwarder server, then takes that IP address and
uses it to query for "www.yourdomain.com". The DNS server, YOUR DNS server,
says, "Yeah, I know that one, www has this address, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx."

If it is the forwarder, the forwarder sends that IP address back to
DNS.somehost.com and says, "Here's that address you were looking for,
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx."
Regardless of where  it gets it from, DNS.somehost.com sends the address
back to Joe's PC and says, "Here's that address you were looking for,
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx."
DNS.somehost.com (and the forwarder server if used) keep the address in its
cache until the TTL runs out, then they drop it.

Not really much propagation there, unless you want to call it "on-demand"
propagation.

--
Chris Stamey
-----------------
Me at Stamey.nu
http://www.Stamey.nu
http://www.Farther.com/VBAnswerNetwork
Senior Network Engineer
Windows NT Administrator
Aspiring AS400 Administrator
VB Developer
ASP and Web Developer
Got a little JavaScript under my belt too.
More to come...
I'm not a pessimist, I'm a "Realistic Optimist". I still see the glass as
half full, I just want to know who the Hell's been drinking out of it.
-Don't remember the comedian's name.