Sun x86 doesn't show syslog queries after SIGWINCH

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Jul 8 09:15:31 UTC 1999

    Karin> I always check my name servers invoking the name deamon
    Karin> with WINCH signal.  On many other Unix platforms it works
    Karin> okay.  On the Sun Solaris 2.6 x86 it doesn't work at all.
    Karin> The syslog show that the query is on but any request
    Karin> doesn't show up in the syslog file.

What SIGWINCH does to a name server depends on the version of BIND.
Maybe on this system you don't get query logging - I assume that's
what you're on about - when you send SIGWINCH to the name server.

    Karin> I double check my /etc/syslog.conf file for right settings
    Karin> like:

    Karin> *.debug /var/log/syslog

Have you tried using logger to test that syslogd is doing the Right
Thing with messages that have the syslog facility code and priority
used for querty logging? Maybe you forgot to HUP syslogd after
changing syslog.conf?