Really disappointed

scientiaXXX scientiaXXX at XXXtechnologist.com
Wed Jul 14 23:40:49 UTC 1999

Really disappointed

Hello

I am really disappointed because I have trying to set up
wildcard subdomains for the last 3 weeks:
2 (two) Providers have not been able to set them up for me.

Now I am trying to set up DNS informations at "Public" (free) DNS
at granitecanyon.com , but I have problems.
Actually I was not supposed to do this: one month ago I did not even know
what DNS was (now I know something after I read a lot of FAQs and
web-pages
and I received some replies in the NGs).

Here are the attempts I made and the errors I got
at granitecanyon.com :
My domain name is  "in.cx"  and my IP is  216.65.80.171 .

FIRST ATTEMPT, wildcards with CNAME:
actually Barry told me it would not work
--------------

in.cx.   IN  A  216.65.80.171
www.in.cx.   IN  CNAME in.cx.
*    IN  CNAME in.cx.

Error:
nslint: illegal hostname "*.in.cx." (starts with non-alpha/numeric)

-----------------
So I tried to do what Barry suggested:

in.cx.   IN  A  216.65.80.171
www.in.cx.   IN  CNAME in.cx.
*    IN  A  216.65.80.171

Errors:
nslint: illegal hostname "*.in.cx." (starts with non-alpha/numeric)
nslint: 216.65.80.171 in use by in.cx. and *.in.cx.

-----------------

The same happens substituting the last line with a similar line
*.in.cx.    IN  A  216.65.80.171
(the difference is:  *in.cx.  instead of  * alone )

-----------------

So I tried to put only the wildcard line!

*.in.cx.    IN  A  216.65.80.171

nslint: illegal hostname "*.in.cx." (starts with non-alpha/numeric)

-----------------

Similar:

*    IN  A  216.65.80.171

nslint: illegal hostname "*.in.cx." (starts with non-alpha/numeric)

----------------

Finally, I tried to make this attempt, suggested by someone else:

in.cx.   IN  A  216.65.80.171
www.in.cx.   IN  CNAME in.cx.
*.in.cx.    IN  A

nslint: bad "a" record ip addr ""

-------------------------

It seems that wildcards are not recognized!
It wants an alpha-numeric character.

So I guess that it is impossible to set up DNS wildcards here.

May it work in any case, in spite of the warning about the
non-alpha-numeric
character?

Thanks for any help, although I do not have many hopes after so
many disappointments.

Fabrizio
scientia at technologist.com