Name Server Timeout and Sendmail

Butch Kemper kemper at tstar.net
Sun Jul 11 01:49:22 UTC 1999

My customers are having troubles sending email to axs4u.net accounts.
When I look in the mailq, I find the messages with this error message:

     Deferred: Name server: mail.axs4u.net.: host name lookup fail

Using dig, I have found that:

   1.  Asking for the mx records for axs4u.net returns no data just a
       status: SERVFAIL.

   2.  After locating the NS for the domain, I queried for the mx records
       and found:

              axs4u.net.              1D IN MX        10 mail.axs4u.net.

   3.  Asking the NS for any information about mail.axs4u.net, I found:

              mail.axs4u.net.         1D IN CNAME     axs4us02.axs4u.net.

   4.  Asking the NS for any information about axs4us02.axs4u.net, I found:

              axs4us02.axs4u.net.     1D IN MX        10 mail.axs4u.net.
              axs4us02.axs4u.net.     1D IN A         207.211.104.222

This appears to be a circular defination and that is why Sendmail is
giving the error message?

So, are the DNS definations at axs4u.net incorrect or is there something
wrong at my end?

On other thing, AOL seems to be able to send mail to users at axs4u.net.