Cannot stop/start new BIND 8.2.1

mhale at sabre.onramp.net mhale at sabre.onramp.net
Fri Jul 9 21:35:31 UTC 1999

In article <3770C8E7.EA23CCCD at bnl.gov>, Frank Lepera wrote:
>Folks...
>
>I just installed latest release of BIND (8.2.1).
>Noticed a NEW NDC module among other new modules. When attempting
>to stop/start the nameservice using the NEW /usr/sbin/ndc module
>I get the following error...
>
># /usr/sbin/in.ndc stop
>ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
>ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/etc/ndc)
>
>Can someone point me in the right direction regarding this problem?

Well, I got that same error here when using an in-house 'packagized'
version of BIND 8.2.1.  It turned out that ndc was trying to create
a socket file (attributes srw-------) in a directory that the package
hadn't created.  Once I created that directory, and ndc was able to
create the socket file, everything started working as expected...

HTH...
--
Michael Hale                              <mhale at verio.net>
Internet System Engineer                  Verio Corporate