CNAME problems

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 09:59:49 UTC 1999

In article <7li5a3.1g56.2 at verdi.nethelp.no>, sthaug at nethelp.no (Steinar
Haug) wrote:

>[Murray Walker]
>
>|   The only definite solution is to follow the qmail rule which states that
>|   dns ANY queries should return less than 512 bytes. I took out some TXT
>|   records from our dns that were getting returned with the query. I think
>|   that may have solved the problem - although I'm not entirely convinced
>|   yet.
>
>Unfortunately, the serial number wasn't updated, as far as I can see. Thus
>liddell.cstr.ed.ac.uk returns an answer of 489 bytes (which is below the
>512 byte limit) with serial # 1999179327, while xlab-0.ed.ac.uk returns an
>answer of 895 bytes (also serial # 1999179327).

As the hostmaster of xlab-0.ed.ac.uk I'm not sure how it can be returning
(as it apparently is) a UDP answer >512 bytes.  It's running the same
software (BIND 4.9.7 - due an upgrade shortly) as other servers which are
secondaries for cstr.ed.ac.uk.  Any ideas?  It's due to get an ndc restart
shortly so if the answers aren't quick the evidence may be gone.

--
Sam Wilson
Network Services Division, Computing Services