Handling of unknown RR types on zone-xfer

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Dec 30 20:37:52 UTC 1999

In article <84gdcu$27h$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <gmcafee at my-deja.com> wrote:
>How should BIND handle receipt of an unknown RR
>type on a zone transfer?  Right now, my secondary
>will not load the zone in a case like this.  Is
>this the correct behavior? The secondary is a
>4.9.3 BIND name server receiving a zone transfer
>from an 'up-level' name server that has a new RR
>type in the zone.

BIND has always rejected zone transfers with unrecognized record types.
The reason is that the zone transfer works by named-xfer writing a zone
file, which named then loads in.  In the case of unrecognized types,
named-xfer doesn't know how to format them in the file.  If these records
were simply left out, the secondary server's version of the domain would
not be the same as the primary's, which would be a problem.  You should get
the secondary server operator to upgrade -- 4.9.3 is ancient and
bug-infested.  It should be straightforward for them to upgrade to 4.9.7,
which understands all the new RR types added int the past few years.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com