NOTIFY awithin a chrooted environment.

Mike mike at urbancom.net
Thu Dec 30 19:53:14 UTC 1999

I am running BIND 8.2.2-P5 within a chrooted environment.  I have read that
the NOTIFY option just "works" by default.  I set up a primary and slave,
both running the same version of BIND and both chrooted.

When I update a zone on the primary, increase the serial and then restart
the server. The primary never sends out the NOTIFY to the slave. I have the
zone using the slave server as its second NS so it should send the NOTIFY
to that server.

I know zone transfers work, I have tested that, and I think I set the whole
shebang up correctly.

I have even tried doing an also-notify within the zone and specifying the
slave IP, which also did not work.

Everything else seems to work fine.

Can anyone tell me why the primary is never sending the NOTIFY to the
slave?  Am I missing something in named.conf?  Could the chroot be causing
the problem?

I searched the net but found no references to problems anything like this.

Thanks,
-- Mike