Upgrading from BIND 4.9 to Bind 8.2.2p5

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Dec 30 19:36:23 UTC 1999

Hi, Michelle.

> I am trying to upgrade my two name servers to BIND 8.2.2p5. I have some
> steps give to me by Cricket but I think I missed something in my notes.
Any
> help or additions to the below would be helpful.
>
> 1. Get BIND-src.tar.gz

The name of the tar file is actually all lowercase:  bind-src.tar.gz.
And I'd do this second, after making the directory for it.

> 2. mkdir bind-8.2.2p5
> 3. zcat BIND-src.tar.gz |tar -xvf

After the pipe, it should be "tar -xvf -."

> 4. cd src
> 5. MORE INSTALL
> 6. MAKE CLEAN
> 7. MAKE DEPEND
> 8. MAKE
> 9. cd /bin/named

That should be "cd bin/named-bootconf."

> 10. named-boot.conf < /etc/named. > named.conf

named-bootconf < /etc/named.boot > /etc/named.conf

> 11. tail /var/adm

Hmm.  I'm not sure about this one.  After starting the name server,
you should "tail /var/log/messages" (to see if the name server
produced any syslog errors).  Of course, your syslog file may be
somewhere else.

> 12. make install

13.  ndc restart
14.  tail /var/log/messages

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.