Bind 8 special characters

Chris Cell ccell at br20-excha.conres.com
Thu Dec 30 19:16:59 UTC 1999

I have found a way to do this, but I have been told it is not suggested. You
can go into the named.conf in bind 8.x and put:

options {
	check-names master warn

This will allow underscores without failure. The defaults are master - fail,
slave - warn. You can also override the options statement and do it on a
zone basis:

zone "zone.com" {
	type master;
	file "db.file";
	check-names warn;
};

	This is not how the config will keep it, but it allows for an easier
migration for the network administrators to change the server names (the
names are important - Microsoft environment about to use dns instead of wins
for resolution).

If you have Dns and Bind by O'Reilly go to page 76, it explains all of this
for earlier versions as well as for the 8.x versions.

Thanks,
Chris