Delegating an in-addr.arpa domain to myself (cheating, I know!)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 30 01:41:25 UTC 1999

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 10:25:59PM +0000, Mark Landin wrote:
> We have an internal DNS system, with BIND 4.9.7 running on an HP-UX
> 10.20 system. The IP addresses we are using are just some we made up a
> few years ago before we were on the Internet (and before I was working
> here, I want to add!). The network numbers we ended up using were
> 192.1.1, 192.2.2, 192.3.3, etc. Of course, we are aware that someone
> else on the Internet actually owns these numbers in the "real world".
>
> Last year we got connected to the Internet thru a local ISP. No
> problem ... we do NAT thru a Cisco router, and our ISP is
> authoritative for the DNS information we expose to the Internet (web
> server, mail server, etc.). I pointed my internal DNS server my ISP's
> DNS server and now I can resolve internal and external addresses.
>
> My only problem deals with nslookup ... when I start it, it hangs up
> for 15-20 seconds and then says "Can't find name server for address
> 192.1.1.11: Non-existent domain", then says no servers are available.
> I can use the 'server' directive to make it work after that, but it's
> still a hassle.
>
> Reading the O'Reilly DNS and BIND book leads me to believe that my
> problem is that the 1.1.192.in-addr.arpa domain isn't delegated right.
> They say to send a delegation request to the InterNIC. Obviously,
> that's not appropriate in my case, since someone else has already been
> delegated that domain. (nslookup is probably trying to contact a name
> server at the "real" 192.1.1.11, and there isn't one there ... even if
> there is that's not the one I want to talk to!)
>
> So how can I delegate that domain to myself internally? I tried
> putting this in my db. file:
>
> 1.1.192.in-addr.arpa.		IN NS	locutus.eng.tdwilliamson.com.
>
> But it complained that 1.1.192.in-addr.arpa wasn't in my zone
> (tdwilliamson.com) which of course is isn't.
>
> What can I do to fix this? Is it possible?

I probably shouldn't be helping a Borg name server, but ...

Put it in your named.conf file.  If you are still using a named.boot
file, install BIND 8.2.2-P5, then put it in your named.conf file.  Oh,
you can put it in your named.boot file; but do you want to lack that
much security?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B