Delegating an in-addr.arpa domain to myself (cheating, I know!)

Mark Landin m555 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 22:25:59 UTC 1999

We have an internal DNS system, with BIND 4.9.7 running on an HP-UX
10.20 system. The IP addresses we are using are just some we made up a
few years ago before we were on the Internet (and before I was working
here, I want to add!). The network numbers we ended up using were
192.1.1, 192.2.2, 192.3.3, etc. Of course, we are aware that someone
else on the Internet actually owns these numbers in the "real world".

Last year we got connected to the Internet thru a local ISP. No
problem ... we do NAT thru a Cisco router, and our ISP is
authoritative for the DNS information we expose to the Internet (web
server, mail server, etc.). I pointed my internal DNS server my ISP's
DNS server and now I can resolve internal and external addresses.

My only problem deals with nslookup ... when I start it, it hangs up
for 15-20 seconds and then says "Can't find name server for address
192.1.1.11: Non-existent domain", then says no servers are available.
I can use the 'server' directive to make it work after that, but it's
still a hassle.

Reading the O'Reilly DNS and BIND book leads me to believe that my
problem is that the 1.1.192.in-addr.arpa domain isn't delegated right.
They say to send a delegation request to the InterNIC. Obviously,
that's not appropriate in my case, since someone else has already been
delegated that domain. (nslookup is probably trying to contact a name
server at the "real" 192.1.1.11, and there isn't one there ... even if
there is that's not the one I want to talk to!)

So how can I delegate that domain to myself internally? I tried
putting this in my db. file:

1.1.192.in-addr.arpa.		IN NS	locutus.eng.tdwilliamson.com.

But it complained that 1.1.192.in-addr.arpa wasn't in my zone
(tdwilliamson.com) which of course is isn't.

What can I do to fix this? Is it possible?