problem with resolver under HP-UX 11

Guðbjörn Hreinsson gsh at skima.is
Wed Dec 29 21:05:26 UTC 1999

I have a situation with sendmail running on HP-UX 11, about 30% of all DNS
requests (at
least MX requests) are returning h_errno of 2, which means retry.

This is causing quite some dealys in delivery even if I'm running the queue
every 3 min.

I can't see any errors with named (8.2.2.P5) but I haven't turned debugging
there up too high. The stats files don't show a lot of RFail's anyway so I'm
looking at the resolver.

I'm told this is OS problem, I'm wondering if I should replace the OS
resolv.h etc
with the ones from the BIND distribution? The INSTALL file warns against
this...

I would appreciate any pointers...

Rgds,
-GSH