Can bind support RFC 2052 and 2163?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed Dec 29 18:06:18 UTC 1999

> Can bind 8.2 support RFC 2052  (A DNS RR for specifying the
> location of services (DNS SRV)

It can and it does.  I believe BIND 4.9.5 was the first to
support SRV records.

> and RFC2163(Using the Internet DNS to Distribute
> MIXER Conformant Global Address Mapping (MCGAM))?

That's not the one you mean.  You're thinking of RFC 2136,
dynamic update.  That's been supported by BIND since 8.1.

> Windows 2000 implementation requires the DNS dynamic update
> protocol. RFC 2052 and 2163. Is it possible to use existing bind
> implementation?

Yes.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.