Obtainaing version number...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Dec 28 17:52:42 UTC 1999

In article <84akon$267$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <daemon31 at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Have a quick question for ya...
>How do I get the version number for a particular BIND release.

The quick way would have been for you to search for your question on
deja.com (you use them for posting, so don't you know about their search
engine?), since this question is answered every couple of months.

Use "dig version.bind txt chaos @server-address".  If this doesn't return a
result, the server is running 4.9.4 or older.  In that case, check the log
file when it starts up, there should be a "starting" message that includes
the version number.  You can also run "strings" on the executable.

>Ive been asked to set up a new DNS server for the public side
>of our network because we need to get rid of our old one.
>
>It is a (old!!) AIX box running Bind ver. ????
>It looks like the config file is "named.dom".
>People from IBM set it up.

The config file is normally either named.boot (for BIND 4) or named.conf
(for BIND 8).  However, any filename may be used, since it can be supplied
as a command line argument.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com