bind and named?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Dec 28 17:49:25 UTC 1999

In article <ro4a4.24$p4.120 at news3.voicenet.com>,
clavikal <clavikal at voicenet.com> wrote:
>Is there a difference between bind and named?

BIND is the name of the entire package of software, which includes named
(the name server daemon), named-xfer (the program that named uses when it's
a slave server and needs to perform a zone transfer), some utility programs
(e.g. ndc to control named), a resolver library, and various contributed
programs that may be useful to name server administrators.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but....
>named.conf says "I have a domain xxxx.com and its db file is at xxxx.com.db"
>then xxx.com.db has all the DNS info...

Yes.