additional udp port open

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Dec 27 15:11:34 UTC 1999

In article <6875.946290657 at gromit.rfc1035.com>,
Jim Reid  <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

>    Barry> In article <23098.945889893 at gromit.rfc1035.com>, Jim Reid
>    Barry> <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>    >>>>>>> "Bobi" == Bobi <bobi at techno-link.com> writes:
>    >>
>    Bobi> Is it nomal for named 8.2.2 to listen on additional, random
>    Bobi> udp port?
>    >>  No. Definitely not. However it is normal for BIND8 name
>    >> servers to use a random, non-privileged port for *sending*
>    >> queries to other name servers.
>
>    Barry> Which implies that it's normal for it to listen on that
>    Barry> port.  Since UDP is connection-less, named must listen on
>    Barry> the source port used for outbound queries.
>
>True, but the name server is not listening on that port for incoming
>queries.

Who said it was?  The original poster never got that specific.  I presume
he simply noticed the port listed in netstat or lsof output, and was
wondering why named was listening on a random port.  You said it shouldn't
be listening on it at all, and I explained why it should.  It has to listen
for answers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com